Thursday, November 15, 2012

Some Notes about St. Louis

I've not written in a hot minute, moving is awful, so is trying to adjust five cats to a new surrounding (and new siblings), and my new job is exhausting. So, I think it's fair to start out with some observations about my new city.

1) People here can not fucking drive. I mean- CAN. NOT. DRIVE. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, slow down even more, get into the left lane, speed up as I try to pass you on the right, match my speed so I can't get around. Stop at yield signs, take 5 minutes to go at a stop sign, go 15 miles under the speed limit at all times. 

2) The radio is terrible. Your station choices are the following: Shitty pop, country, Christian, ghetto and Christmas. Good luck.

3) St. Louis is kind of neat. In a, I could live here for a couple of years max and do things once and get it out of my system and then move to Minneapolis and live happily ever after kind of way.

4) Finally, my biggest complaint: People here are really unattractive. Seriously, even the people who try really hard still miss by a mile.

I do like it here, though. I've got a big company recruiting me out of Minneapolis, so it's been hard to tell them no (several times... and they're still coming here next week to meet with me in person), but I can actually see living here for a bit.

Friend and I live in a great location, close to the highways, across the street from Forest Park, groceries, bars and cafes and restaurants, but very quiet. We're getting settled and making our house a nice little home. It's been really pleasant other than the few moments of panic and flashing back to past experiences here and there.

To his credit, Friend is amazing. He doesn't get upset when I get defensive because he asked me if I was done with my water bottle, so he could throw it away. He understands that my immediate reaction to defend myself and cover my ass is directly related to the way I was treated for 6 years. Despite my best efforts, things have come together, for now, and I'm enjoying every second as it happens. I think my therapist would be so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment